Wearing orthotics may be part of a short, medium or long term strategy to manage your complaint.
An annual review of your foot orthotics is essential to ensure ongoing effectiveness and address any changes in foot structure, conditions, or lifestyle. Over time, you may experience alterations in weight, activity levels, or medical conditions, impacting the orthotics’ performance.
Custom orthotics are an investment into your health, to get the most out of your investment an annual orthotic review is crucial for several reasons:
- Adapting to Changes: Foot structure and conditions can change over time due to factors like aging or injury. An annual review helps assess these changes and make necessary adjustments to the orthotics.
- Effectiveness Check: It ensures that the orthotics are effectively addressing your specific foot needs. If improvements are needed, adjustments can be made.
- Comfort and Fit: Feet may change in size or shape, requiring adjustments for continued comfort and proper fit.
- Preventive Maintenance: Regular check-ups help identify potential issues early, extending the lifespan of the orthotics.
- Progress Monitoring: For those using orthotics as part of a treatment plan, annual reviews monitor progress and allow for necessary modifications.
- Lifestyle Adaptation: Changes in activity level or footwear can impact orthotic effectiveness, and reviews help make necessary adjustments.
- Patient Education: Reviews provide an opportunity for your Podiatrist to educate you on proper foot care and orthotic maintenance.
- Insurance Compliance: Some insurance providers may require regular reviews for coverage continuation, ensuring ongoing support.
What to expect at an annual review?
At an orthotic review, you can expect a thorough assessment of the effectiveness and fit of your custom foot orthotics. Your Podiatrist will likely examine any changes in foot structure or conditions, inquire about any discomfort or changes in lifestyle, and conduct a gait analysis. They may also assess the overall condition of the orthotics and discuss any concerns or improvements needed. Based on the findings, adjustments or modifications to the orthotics may be recommended to ensure optimal support, comfort, and alignment. The review serves as a proactive measure to address evolving needs and contribute to the continued efficacy of the orthotic intervention. Typically orthotic repairs or adjustments can be conducted on the day and even if your orthotics were issued at another clinic we are happy to review them and repair as indicated!
So how long has it been since you’ve had your orthotics checked?
Has the pain returned or a new complaint developed?
Are your orthotics falling apart, getting smelly or has the dog had a nibble on the edges?
Has it been longer than 12 months since your Podiatrist last reviewed your feet & orthotics?
Thinking it’s time to get your orthotics checked?
To see a Podiatrist at Rural Health for an orthotic review book online or phone (02) 5926 3806.